Simple registry edit through a script
sLater
2009-07-10 13:09:52 UTC
Howdy. :)

This should be a pretty easy question, so here goes.

I'm on an infrastructure that has a downstream WSUS server, Active
Directory, exchange, and about 45 clients. I don't have SMS (or the
new instance of it). I'm going to push IE7 out to my clients through
WSUS, but there's a problem with the IE7 installation that causes it
to go to the "go.microsoft.com" website after it installs, no matter
what. Supposedly it's a known problem. So, I found a registry fix
for it, and I'd like to push out a simple regedit to the clients after
the IE7 push.

What would be the easiest way to do this? Group policy? A script?
Or is there another way that might be even easier? I'm pretty
ignorant when it comes to scripting, so any help is much appreciated.
The system we run is pretty bare bones and the current login script is
a simple bat file with a couple of "net use" commands for shared
drives. We don't need much. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Dave Kennedy
Mark D. MacLachlan
2009-07-10 17:55:18 UTC
Make a new GPO (don't use domain default) and then add a logon script
in that GPO. You didn't share the registry settings but I believe this
is what you are looking for:

[code]
'=======================================================================
===
'
' NAME: DisableGoMicrosoftCom.vbs
'
' AUTHOR: Mark D. MacLachlan , The Spider's Parlor
' DATE : 7/10/2009
' COPYRIGHT © 2009, All Rights Reserved
'
' COMMENT:
' THIS CODE AND INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
' ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED To
' THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A
' PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
'
' IN NO EVENT SHALL THE SPIDER'S PARLOR AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE
SUPPLIERS
' BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY
' DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
' WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS
' ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
' OF THIS CODE OR INFORMATION.
'
'=======================================================================
===
Dim WSHShell
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

Dim FirstRunCustomizeArray(4)
FirstRunCustomizeArray(0) = "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\"
FirstRunCustomizeArray(1) = "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\"
FirstRunCustomizeArray(2) = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\"
FirstRunCustomizeArray(3) = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\"

For Each Key In FirstRunCustomizeArray
WSHShell.RegWrite Key & "DisableFirstRunCustomize", 1, "REG_DWORD"
Next

Dim RunOnceArray(2)
RunOnceArray(0) = "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\"
RunOnceArray(1) = "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\"

For Each Key In RunOnceArray
WSHShell.RegWrite Key & "RunOnceComplete ", 1, "REG_DWORD"
WSHShell.RegWrite Key & "RunOnceHasShown ", 1, "REG_DWORD"
Next

Path = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\microsoft.com\go\"
WSHShell.RegWrite Path & "http", 4, "REG_DWORD"

[/code]

Hope that helps,

Mark D. MacLachlan