Script to MOVE file and leave a Shortcut to new location
JJ
2009-07-22 15:38:50 UTC
Hi.

I am running low on disk space on my server, but need to keep all files
available. I would like to create a script that will move files that have
not been accessed after a preset date, to an external hard drive, leaving a
shortcut where the moved file originally was and pointing to it's new
location on the external drive.

So far, I have come up with robocopy to move the files by access date, but
it doesn't seem to have the ability to leave a shortcut behind.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

James Thibault
Pegasus [MVP]
You could use shortcut.exe from http://www.optimumx.com/download/#Shortcut.
JJ
2009-07-22 17:50:08 UTC
Thanks for the reply, Pegasus, but I will be moving thousands of files and
folders and subfolders. A huge directory tree. I don't see an option in the
switches to do all this in one step. Could you give me an example?

Say I wanted to move all files not accessed after Jan 1, 2003 from c:\ to
f:\Backup. I know how to do this with robocopy. How would I use shortcut.exe
to create shortcuts to all the files moved........in the locations hat they
were moved from....throughout the whole directory tree?

?

James
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-07-22 19:22:38 UTC
All you need to do is to invoke shortcut.exe once for each file, giving it
the appropriate names each time, e.g. like so:
@echo off
for %%a in (E:\Backup\*.*) do (
echo shortcut /F:"C:\%%~na.lnk" /A:C /T:"%%a" /W:E:\Backup /R:1
)

Since your description about the source and target folders is rather vague,
you may have to tweak the above batch file a little in order to suit your
environment. Note also this:
- You must test the batch file from the Command Prompt. Do not test it from
the Start/Run box.
- When you're happy with the result you see, remove the word "echo" in Line
3 in order to activate the batch file.
JJ
Al Dunbar
2009-07-26 00:07:39 UTC
Copy the code below into a batch file (i.e. backfill.cmd) - watch for line
wrapping - and then run it from a command prompt window with two parameters:

backfill "E:\backup" "C:\"

This script expands on Pegasus' contribution by processing all of the files
contained within the "huge directory tree" that is C:\backup using the "/R"
switch of the FOR command. It also avoids re-creating any already existing
shortcuts, so you could run it after your subsequent robocopy cleanup runs.

When you are satisfied that the commands being displayed will do the trick,
change "ECHO/shortcut.exe" to "shortcut.exe".

REM -----------------------
@echo off
setlocal

(set _sce=%~dpnx1)
(set _dst=%~dpnx2)
if not defined _dst (
echo/syntax: %~nx0 [folder for files] [folder for shortcuts]
pause
GOTO:EOF
)

for /r b %%A in (*.*) do CALL:SCUT "%%~A"
GOTO:EOF

:SCUT

(set _FILE=%~1)
(call set _SCUT=%%_FILE:%_sce%=%_dst%%%)
for %%B in ("%_SCUT%") do (set _SCUT=%%~dpnB.lnk)
echo/
if exist "%_SCUT%" (
echo/shortcut already exists: "%_SCUT%" & pause
) else (
ECHO/shortcut.exe /F:"%_SCUT%" /A:C /T:"%_FILE%"
)

GOTO:EOF
REM -----------------------

/Al
Post by JJ
Thanks...I'll give it a try!
Al Dunbar
2009-07-26 04:22:15 UTC
Oops, I forgot to remove a PAUSE statement...
th
A few more thoughts...

- If users have read/write access there is a possibility that shortcut.exe
will fail because the folder to where the shortcut is to go has been deleted
or renamed since the file was moved.

- If you do subsequent cleanup robocopy runs, perhaps these should go to
different folders, E:\backup2, E:\backup3, etc.

- Except for the fact that the shortcuts could be moved or renamed, you
could run a script to look through E:\backup and delete files whose
shortcuts have been deleted.

- I just realized there could be name collisions. Suppose you have files
test.doc and test.rtf in the same folder. It appears to me that the code
below will try to make two shortcuts called test.lnk. To have it create
test.rtf.lnk and test.doc.lnk instead, change this line:

(set _SCUT=%%~dpnB.lnk)

to this:

(set _SCUT=%%~dpnxB.lnk)

/Al
Post by Al Dunbar
[...]
Post by JJ
Thanks...I'll give it a try!
JJ
2009-08-13 21:01:30 UTC
Thanks so much, Al! I will let you know how it goes.

James
Post by Al Dunbar
[...]
Post by JJ
Thanks...I'll give it a try!