Performance Alert won't execute .bat file
Daniel Mazur
2009-09-15 10:30:46 UTC
Performance Alert Issue

I have recently installed BLAT to use a batch file for sending email
messages from my Windows 2003 Server. It works just fine. Now I want to
use it to inform me when the mail QUEUE exceeds a number of mail. So, in
the performance Monitor I setup an alert that, when configured is able to
"send a network message to" which, via messenger creates a pop up message
that works just fine. However, now I want to use the option "run this
program" to activate the .bat file I created so a message from the alert can
be sent to my blackberry. When I input the path to the .bat, it attempts to
execute the .bat but fails. In the event viewer I get a warning message
from Sysmonlog, ID 2038 "Unable to execute command for the alert. The alert
will continue as scheduled. The error code returned is in the data".

Anyone know what I need do?

Thanks,

Dan
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-09-15 11:41:38 UTC
Post by Daniel Mazur
[...]
Some questions:
- Where did you put the batch file?
- How did you reference it in the Performance Monitor?
- What is the contents of the batch file?
- Why do you cross-post a batch file question to scripting newsgroups?
Daniel Mazur
2009-09-15 21:33:20 UTC
Pegasus,

To answer your questions;

1. The batch file is located in a folder I created on the root of C:\. Not
quite sure if that's what you're asking for.
2. Can't tell what you mean by reference the file. I put the path in "run
this program" as mentioned in my post.
3. The content of the batch file is a BLAT string that properly sends an
email to my blackberry by means other than Alerts (simple double click), as
stated below. Maybe you are asking for the script? Can't be sure what you
want here.
4. I posted my message as suggested by another MVP. This was said to be the
proper way, so the message may not be overlooked in areas of it's subject
which at times is difficult to determine. Is there a problem here? Am I
overlooking something?

I did find an answer already to my question. It was necessary to use a
"command line argument" with the .bat. Once I selected "single arguement
string", it worked perfectly. If you are familiar with performance alerts,
I'm certain you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your quick response.

Dan
SteveB
Daniel Mazur

Pegasus [MVP]
2009-09-15 21:59:00 UTC
Post by Daniel Mazur
Pegasus,
To answer your questions;
1. The batch file is located in a folder I created on the root of C:\.
Not quite sure if that's what you're asking for.
2. Can't tell what you mean by reference the file. I put the path in "run
this program" as mentioned in my post.
3. The content of the batch file is a BLAT string that properly sends an
email to my blackberry by means other than Alerts (simple double click),
as stated below. Maybe you are asking for the script? Can't be sure what
you want here.
4. I posted my message as suggested by another MVP. This was said to be
the proper way, so the message may not be overlooked in areas of it's
subject which at times is difficult to determine. Is there a problem here?
Am I overlooking something?
Dan
Thanks for the feedback. - The purpose of crossposting is to give you a
greater audience, in particular in cases where your question is relevant to
several newsgroups. It should be used in moderation - the keyword here is
"relevant". Posting in newsgroups that are not relevant to your question
won't win you many friends - it tends to clutter up the newsgroups and it is
a time waster for respondents. If you're concerned that your post might get
overlooked, check the percentage of other posts in the relevant newsgroups.
If you see that most get answered then there is a good chance that yours
will attract an answer too. In your case I would have posted the question in
server.general and server.sbs (if using an SBS). Server.setup is for
problems relating to setting up a server and server.scripting is for VB
Script questions.