Convert .cmd to .msi file
David McWilliams
2010-06-22 20:30:18 UTC
Does anyone know of a way to convert a .cmd file to a .msi file?

Thanks in advance,

David
David H. Lipman
2010-06-22 20:57:52 UTC
From: "David McWilliams" <***@gmail.com>

| Does anyone know of a way to convert a .cmd file to a .msi file?

| Thanks in advance,

I don't think you understand the difference between the two. One being an interpreted
script and the other being a packaged installer.

What are you trying to accomplish ?
--
Dave
David McWilliams
2010-06-24 13:37:53 UTC
I have created a batch file that installs a number of software
products, originally being a Unix guy I thought that distributing this
to a number of hosts, approx 70, would be straightforward, but
apparently it needs to be an MSI so that it can be distributed via
group policy. Some of the software is hostname dependant and hence
can't just be taking from one machine and dropped onto another.

Does this make sense?
Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
David H. Lipman
2010-06-24 20:36:13 UTC
From: "David McWilliams" <***@gmail.com>

| I have created a batch file that installs a number of software
| products, originally being a Unix guy I thought that distributing this
| to a number of hosts, approx 70, would be straightforward, but
| apparently it needs to be an MSI so that it can be distributed via
| group policy. Some of the software is hostname dependant and hence
| can't just be taking from one machine and dropped onto another.

| Does this make sense?

Yes. I understand. However there is MORE to this that just .CMD to .MSI .

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/MSI-Packaging-Tools.html

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/introduction.html
--
Dave
addy
2010-06-26 08:12:56 UTC
Well I understand the point, coming over from the unix bit where the
deployment would carry shell scripts automating the installers on the
systems say rpm or pkg_add etc. but in windows this automation is
provided to you via the Software installation policy with many extra
easy to use features. The point is you have to build the package
yourself unless your application comes packaged as an MSI.

A batch file is nothing but a shell script which I know you would have
gained expertise in but MSI is a totally different beast to work out
with. you can use Orcas the MSI creator and editor included with
windows SDK to create MSI packages. your shell or batch file is either
not required or can be packaged along with the apps you are trying to
install. but you should really create seperate packages which can make
your management easire than bundling everything in one package and
pushing it through.If Orcas seems too complicated get a visual studio
2008 or 2010 and these can help as well.

Play with it a little and you would certainly get a hang of it.

Hope this helps.