Stop windows service copy data and then start service
Masti
2009-05-11 21:52:01 UTC
I need a vbscript which can stop a windows service and copy data and once
the data is copied over restart the service. This has be done from remote
server and for multiple servers.

Any help is appreciated.
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-05-11 22:58:41 UTC
Post by Masti
Hi,
I need a vbscript which can stop a windows service and copy data and once
the data is copied over restart the service. This has be done from remote
server and for multiple servers.
Any help is appreciated.
The easiest way to achieve this is by using a batch file:
@echo off
sc \\SomeServer stop SomeService
robocopy /s SourceDir TargetDir
sc \\SomeServer start SomeService

If you must use a VB Script then you can use the Run method in order to
execute the two sc.exe commands.
Masti

Al Dunbar
2009-05-12 00:54:35 UTC
Post by Masti
Hi,
Reason why i asked for vbcript is i need to schedule this task and leave it
so it runs every weekend.
You don't need vbscript to do that, as you can schedule batch files.

/Al
Post by Masti
Can you provide me with compelte script?
Thanks
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Hi,
Masti
2009-05-15 16:21:01 UTC

can you tell me what is the run method, actually this is what i am planning
to do .
we are using netbackup to backup UDDI files. but as some of the files are in
open state most of the time the backup software was not able to backup open
files.we dont have an open file agent license . so i need a script Do the
following:

Stop the service MSSQL$UDDI
Copy the folder C:\Inetpub\uddi to a backup location
Restart MSSQL$UDDI

Please provide me a script

any help appreciated , thank you .

Masti
Post by Al Dunbar
Hi,
Post by Masti
Can you provide me with compelte script?
Thanks
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Hi,
Pegasus [MVP]
Masti
2009-05-18 16:21:03 UTC
I tried the script you provided but it failed to stop the service and copy
files and start service.

here is the script i used:
@echo off
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI

Can you please let me know if am doing or using any syntax or command wrong
here in the script. I created this as a batch file and did schedule it for
run .

Thanks

Masti
Post by Masti
Hi,
can you tell me what is the run method, actually this is what i am planning
to do .
we are using netbackup to backup UDDI files. but as some of the files are in
open state most of the time the backup software was not able to backup open
files.we dont have an open file agent license . so i need a script Do the
Stop the service MSSQL$UDDI
Copy the folder C:\Inetpub\uddi to a backup location
Restart MSSQL$UDDI
Please provide me a script
any help appreciated , thank you .
Masti
Post by Al Dunbar
Hi,
Post by Masti
Can you provide me with compelte script?
Thanks
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Hi,
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-05-18 18:51:15 UTC
When you write a batch file then it is a little optimistic to run it under
the Task Scheduler without first testing it extensively in a Command Prompt.
Perhaps you'll get some error message saying that the service cannot be
stopped for one reason or the other. At the very least you should include
some logging code in your batch file, e.g. like so:
@echo off
echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\test.txt
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1

A frequently overlooked cause of failure for scheduled batch files is that
the account used by the Task Scheduler has insufficient access rights to the
resource it is trying to access.
Post by Masti
Hi,
I tried the script you provided but it failed to stop the service and copy
files and start service.
@echo off
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI
Can you please let me know if am doing or using any syntax or command wrong
here in the script. I created this as a batch file and did schedule it for
run .
Thanks
Masti
Post by Masti
Hi,
can you tell me what is the run method, actually this is what i am planning
to do .
we are using netbackup to backup UDDI files. but as some of the files are in
open state most of the time the backup software was not able to backup open
files.we dont have an open file agent license . so i need a script Do the
Stop the service MSSQL$UDDI
Copy the folder C:\Inetpub\uddi to a backup location
Restart MSSQL$UDDI
Please provide me a script
any help appreciated , thank you .
Masti
Post by Al Dunbar
Hi,
Post by Masti
Can you provide me with compelte script?
Thanks
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Hi,
Masti
2009-05-21 20:53:08 UTC

I did run the script it works fine copying data but actually i believe its
not able to stop the service and copy all the data reason is Under UDDI
whatever data is under Data folder is not being copied over.

I see these messages in the log.

Thu 05/21/2009 13:43:20.14 praveen-adm
[SC] OpenSCManager FAILED 1722:

The RPC server is unavailable.

[SC] StartService FAILED 1056:

An instance of the service is already running.

does it make any sense to you .. can you please help me.
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
When you write a batch file then it is a little optimistic to run it under
the Task Scheduler without first testing it extensively in a Command Prompt.
Perhaps you'll get some error message saying that the service cannot be
stopped for one reason or the other. At the very least you should include
@echo off
echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\test.txt
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1
A frequently overlooked cause of failure for scheduled batch files is that
the account used by the Task Scheduler has insufficient access rights to the
resource it is trying to access.
Post by Masti
Hi,
I tried the script you provided but it failed to stop the service and copy
files and start service.
@echo off
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI
Can you please let me know if am doing or using any syntax or command wrong
here in the script. I created this as a batch file and did schedule it for
run .
Thanks
Masti
Post by Masti
Hi,
can you tell me what is the run method, actually this is what i am planning
to do .
we are using netbackup to backup UDDI files. but as some of the files are in
open state most of the time the backup software was not able to backup open
files.we dont have an open file agent license . so i need a script Do the
Stop the service MSSQL$UDDI
Copy the folder C:\Inetpub\uddi to a backup location
Restart MSSQL$UDDI
Please provide me a script
any help appreciated , thank you .
Masti
Post by Al Dunbar
Hi,
Post by Masti
Can you provide me with compelte script?
Thanks
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Hi,
Masti
2009-05-21 21:14:04 UTC
I get this eror message now ,

SERVICE_NAME: MSSQL$UDDI
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 3 STOP_PENDING
(STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x1
WAIT_HINT : 0xea60

SERVICE_NAME: MSSQL$UDDI
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 2 START_PENDING
(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x7d0
PID : 2588
FLAGS :

Script is @echo off
echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\test.txt
sc \\ussf-papp-win01 stop MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\ussf-papp-win01 start MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1

Please help
Hi,
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
When you write a batch file then it is a little optimistic to run it under
the Task Scheduler without first testing it extensively in a Command Prompt.
Perhaps you'll get some error message saying that the service cannot be
stopped for one reason or the other. At the very least you should include
@echo off
echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\test.txt
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI 1>>c:\test.txt 2>>&1
A frequently overlooked cause of failure for scheduled batch files is that
the account used by the Task Scheduler has insufficient access rights to the
resource it is trying to access.
Post by Masti
Hi,
I tried the script you provided but it failed to stop the service and copy
files and start service.
@echo off
sc \\Servername stop MSSQL$UDDI
robocopy /s C:\Inetpub\uddi C:\Test_backup_Uddi
sc \\Servername start MSSQL$UDDI
Can you please let me know if am doing or using any syntax or command wrong
here in the script. I created this as a batch file and did schedule it for
run .
Thanks
Masti
Post by Masti
Hi,
can you tell me what is the run method, actually this is what i am planning
to do .
we are using netbackup to backup UDDI files. but as some of the files are in
open state most of the time the backup software was not able to backup open
files.we dont have an open file agent license . so i need a script Do the
Stop the service MSSQL$UDDI
Copy the folder C:\Inetpub\uddi to a backup location
Restart MSSQL$UDDI
Please provide me a script
any help appreciated , thank you .
Masti
Post by Al Dunbar
Hi,
Post by Masti
Can you provide me with compelte script?
Thanks
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Hi,
Pegasus [MVP]