Send to Compressed Folder missing for limited users on XP Pro
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-06-15 14:27:24 UTC
Hi - sorry about the xpost but I'm not sure where this really is best
posted.

I've got a client with an AD2003 domain, XP Pro clients. Domain users don't
have admin rights.

For users, Send to Compressed Folder is missing in the context menu.
If I log in as an account with local admin rights it's there.
As an admin I can reregister the DLL ( regsvr32 zipfldr.dll ) and it works
fine for me - but the user logs back in and it isn't there. I guess this is
a per-profile thing?

AFAIK, limited users won't have the rights to run that command, so I can't
put it in a login script.

I've done nothing that I know of to remove this via GPO (and hence can't
think where I'd re-add it). The only solution I've found (which is not
scalable!) is to temporarily grant the user local admin rights, re-register
the DLL and then revoke the rights; then they're golden. But I am not keen
to do this on 50 clients. Any advice?
Mark Heitbrink [MVP]
2009-06-15 14:42:22 UTC
For users, Send to Compressed Folder is missing in the context menu. [...]
This should work as a restricted user:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/5/1/Restore-missing-Compressed-zipped-Folder-option-to-the-Send-To-menu.html
| rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto
|
| In the background, a 0 byte file named Compressed (zipped)
| Folder.ZFSendToTarget will automatically be created in the
| %Userprofile%\SendTo folder.

Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
Discuss : www.freelists.org/list/gpupdate
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2009-06-17 13:48:27 UTC
Post by Mark Heitbrink [MVP]
Hi,
For users, Send to Compressed Folder is missing in the context menu. [...]
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/5/1/Restore-missing-Compressed-zipped-Folder-option-to-the-Send-To-menu.html
rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto
In the background, a 0 byte file named Compressed (zipped)
Folder.ZFSendToTarget will automatically be created in the
%Userprofile%\SendTo folder.
Mark
Thanks, Mark - that did the trick.