vbs login script not executed on Win2k8 server
Bonno Bloksma
2009-08-07 08:20:59 UTC

I have several Windows XP Pro, Windows 2003 server (32-bit and 64-bit) machines.
All execute the vbs login scripts without any problem.
The script is in SYSVOL\Domain\Policies\{number}\User\Scripts\Logon as name.vbs
In the policy it is activated as a user logoin script

On my Windows 2008 x64 servers this script does NOT execute. The server is a member server of the
domain, the user is a member of the domain.
The homedirectory does come up but that is in the profile, not via a script.

Why does my vbs login script not work on Windows 2008 x64 servers? I've tested it on both servers
now.
When I manualy start the script all mappings come up perfectly.

Bonno Bloksma
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-08-07 16:17:30 UTC
Post by Bonno Bloksma
Hi,
I have several Windows XP Pro, Windows 2003 server (32-bit and 64-bit) machines.
All execute the vbs login scripts without any problem.
The script is in SYSVOL\Domain\Policies\{number}\User\Scripts\Logon as name.vbs
In the policy it is activated as a user logoin script
On my Windows 2008 x64 servers this script does NOT execute. The server is
a member server of the domain, the user is a member of the domain.
The homedirectory does come up but that is in the profile, not via a script.
Why does my vbs login script not work on Windows 2008 x64 servers? I've
tested it on both servers now.
When I manualy start the script all mappings come up perfectly.
Bonno Bloksma
Try putting this *batch* file into the same location as your script file:
@echo off
echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\test.txt

If you get the expected result in c:\test.txt then you have a problem with
your script - let's have a look at it!

If you don't get anything in c:\test.txt then you placed your file into the
wrong location or you did not reference it correctly in your user profile.
\Rems
2009-08-08 20:13:01 UTC
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Post by Bonno Bloksma
Hi,
[...]
A server can allow non-admins to logon. Non-admin users are by default not
allowed to create or modify files in the sytem root, therefore I would
suggest the test batch creates a folder first or use the user's tmp-folder to
write the test textfile to.

A reason why the logon script does not run could have something to do with
zone security on the member server. Try adding your domain.local to the
"Local Intranet zone" (i.e. via Internet Explorer) on the member server.

\Rems