Finding password protected files
Linn Kubler
2009-05-27 14:36:43 UTC

I have been asked to identify all the password protected files on our
network and am wondering if someone might have an example?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a commercial/shareware/freeware utility
for this? A quick Google search found a few utilities for finding files
like this but I know nothing about them. We are mostly interested in Word,
Excel and PowerPoint type files.

Thanks in advance,
Linn
Dave Patrick
2009-05-28 02:49:03 UTC
I'd ask them here. microsoft.public.office.misc

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.misc&cat=en_US_24f872ec-a5b6-4cc1-925d-0364c03e6da6&lang=en&cr=US
--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
Hi,
Linn
Linn Kubler
2009-05-28 13:26:09 UTC
Hi Dave,

I did post this question there as well, no response yet though. Was kind of
hoping someone would have a script to do this so I wouldn't have to resort
to installing another application.

Thanks,
Linn
Post by Dave Patrick
I'd ask them here. microsoft.public.office.misc
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.misc&cat=en_US_24f872ec-a5b6-4cc1-925d-0364c03e6da6&lang=en&cr=US
--
Regards,
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
Hi,
Linn
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-05-28 14:50:22 UTC
Post by Linn Kubler
Hi,
I have been asked to identify all the password protected files on our
network and am wondering if someone might have an example?
Alternatively, can anyone recommend a commercial/shareware/freeware
utility for this? A quick Google search found a few utilities for finding
files like this but I know nothing about them. We are mostly interested
in Word, Excel and PowerPoint type files.
Thanks in advance,
Linn
Seeing that you frequently post questions in newsgroups, I suggest you
familiarise yourself with the concept of "cross-posting". You multiposted
this particular question, which causes duplication of effort and is
therefore much frowned upon - see here:
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm.
Linn Kubler
2009-05-28 20:28:32 UTC
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Post by Linn Kubler
Hi,
I have been asked to identify all the password protected files on our
network and am wondering if someone might have an example?
Alternatively, can anyone recommend a commercial/shareware/freeware
utility for this? A quick Google search found a few utilities for
finding files like this but I know nothing about them. We are mostly
interested in Word, Excel and PowerPoint type files.
Thanks in advance,
Linn
Seeing that you frequently post questions in newsgroups, I suggest you
familiarise yourself with the concept of "cross-posting". You multiposted
this particular question, which causes duplication of effort and is
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm.
Don't see the problem, this is a question that spans multiple disciplains.
Someone in this group might have had the answer but doesn't read the other
group or visa versa, how am I supposed to get the most accurate information
without cross posting? That's like saying it's Ok to Google one web site
but not another.

Sorry if I offended anyone, just trying to solve a problem.

Thanks for the help,
Linn
Pegasus [MVP]
2009-05-28 20:51:16 UTC
Post by Linn Kubler
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Post by Linn Kubler
Hi,
[...]
Sorry, you missed my point entirely. You did not *crosspost* - you
*multiposted*. Crossposting involves placing several newsgroup names into
the Address field so that everybody in every newsgroup can see your post and
reply to it. You did not do this - you created several independent threads
in different newsgroups so that respondents could not see the replies from
other newsgroups.

Please read the information once more in the link I gave you before. It
tells you clearly that crossposting, when done in moderation, is fine and
that multiposting causes duplication of effort.
Linn Kubler
2009-05-29 13:49:57 UTC
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Post by Linn Kubler
Post by Pegasus [MVP]
Post by Linn Kubler
Hi,
[...]
Sorry, my mistake. Didn't realize that responding to a post in one group
would get crossposted to all the groups. Never realized the difference and
in this case, thought of posting to the other groups independantly of this
original post.

Thanks again,
Linn